Please use this page to propose and discuss any new ideas you have. Mark each one with the word "Idea" and post your initials before your comment.
- Please continuously update ideas and reorganize as relevant
- If you add an entirely new idea or substantially revamp it, then enter the date
- If you like / don't like an idea, post your opinion with your initials
- Scroll through the ideas first to make sure someone hasn't already posted something similar; if they have, add your idea and refine
NOTE: "accomplished" and "back burner" ideas are listed at the end; scroll down
Idea: Xmas songs for 2015
This season, the theme is "Pop Christmas". We assume that the canonical "pop" Christmas song is Mariah Carey's All I want for Christmas is you.
What exactly is meant by "Pop Christmas" please? Does this mean popular music, or actual "pop" music, i.e. that has been in the charts? (Linda) [GH] I take it as more of an exclusionary designation - i.e. no Silent Night, no Angels we have heard on high, etc. So I'm still planning to recycle the standards (Xmas Jazz Trio etc.)
- Something by Elizabeth Chan, maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5r-qd_O7TE [GH: I started to arrange this; looking good.]
- Some 1950s pop songs, like this: https://xkcd.com/988/
- Christmas Baby Please Come Home [GH: we will definitely do this one!]
- Pentatonix Little Drummer Boy
- Someone suggested A Grown Up Christmas List [GH: unfortunately this seems like ultimate glurge]
- Do you want to build a snowman? (from Frozen). Il Coro did this last season and we have the SAB + piano score(s) on hand.
- Home Free's version of Mary did you know
- Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8KT365wlA
- High Ho Silver Lining by Jeff Beck - it doesn't mention Christmas at all but it's been the best-ever celebration song since the 1960s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StNY8P2UILs&list=RDStNY8P2UILs
- Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty McColl, but only if we want to offend or depress the audience! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8
- A different version of Santa Baby - more like the Taylor Swift version than the one we've been doing in the past
- Grandma got run over by a reindeer
- How about I believe in Father Christmas (Greg Lake) like this version by Swingle Singers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc8IFm3prUM (Carol)
- Wham! - Last Christmas I can't believe GN hasn't done this! It's a great poppy song, audiences will definitely know it, and would be a huge crowd pleaser!! It can be done acappella and I'm sure you could find some arrangements already done for it. I found a youtube clip of a women's group doing it! =) Real Version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=26&v=E8gmARGvPlI Acapella Version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHvopoHIuGo
- It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas. It's upbeat and a quick song, but not necessarily pop. But it's a great Christmas song and I think GH could make a great arrangement! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU3StPwbIWw&index=5&list=PLD231j5QApVLaRgyVdfZupyaFuH2dIhq0
- Little Saint Nick - Again, fun, upbeat and short… You could do some very cute little choreography with it and it would be SO much fun!\ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXRtXg-5Ang
- Mistetoe (Justin Beiber) How much more "pop" can you get than Justin Beiber???? =) It could be a nice acapella arrangement though!! I would probably change the word "shorty" to "baby" throughout though!!! =) I found one arrangement I quite liked! I could also totally seeing this being a "mashup" and putting something like Jingle Bell behind the main song… Could be very fun and hip. Real Version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=68&v=LUjn3RpkcKY Acapella Version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KcZSLhc_Yc
- My Only Wish This Year (Britney Spears) A little Britney maybe??? Hehehehe, this one's a bit cheesy, but it could be a fun ensemble piece! Found a women's acapella version! Real Version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MzumcY3lpk Acapella Version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPAJcTUqXP0
- Here are some thoughts people posted last season:
We MUST sing O Holy Night otherwise I will turn into the biggest Gringe ever and steal all your Christmasses. And we must sing The Sleigh because it took so much time to learn and it's so much fun to sing. (this is Linda, right?) (I'd say it's most definitely Linda - Lou). Agree MUST sing Holy Night (goosebumps yah!-Lou) Yes, it was Linda!
- Sugar Plum Fairy [GH] is annoying to sing but a crowd pleaser (I find that soooo hard, esp. bobbing up & down. Like it tho'-Lou)
- Xmas jazz trio: Winter wonderland easy ending, Oyu Bear, and Dirgey Xmas tree, are pretty much required by this point [GH]
- Add more ideas here! A couple of ones to please kids?(Lou) (Let It Go or song from Frozen? carol)
- Up On The House Top, O Holy Night (last years), God Rest Ye, (Yes, to the Jazz 'trio'), Christmas Baby Please Come Home, (Yes, to Sugar Plum), Santa Baby, Mary Did You Know (all JS)
Little Drummer Boy (pa ruppa pum pum) Pentatonix version ( Carol)
"Last Christmas", G.Michael. Maybe we could change the lyrics a bit, make it "funner"/localise it p'haps (Lou)
"I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas", R. Williams + choir. We "steal" what they do…Hilarious
"All I want for Christmas" Mariah Carey
"The Christmas Song"
"Let it snow"
Idea: Our song
Previous "our song" was I don't know why. Any other ideas? Should be relatively short, upbeat, positive, no solo, and characteristic of our group. Seems like "our song" is now Kiss the girl by default.
"I Feel the Earth Move", Carole King (Lou)
"Signed Sealed Delivered" Stevie Wonder (Carol) like this? No solo, fun to sing? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CHrvIpLffCs this is a DEke Sharon arrangement.
Idea: Quartets to learn standards
<JH> There are a lot of songs we've talked about doing; Unforgettable, Embraceable You, My funny Valentine, and others. I would like to suggest that we ask people to learn in quartets. Or perhaps you fix a 'Standards Quartet'. And those 4 people learn them all. Or Two do them all and switch the others between a few people. Otherwise, with occasional turn over and lack of time for everyone to learn them we will never have them learned.
<Lou>Embraceable You - beautiful harmonies. When Grace Notes sang it at my daughter's Christening in St John's Cathedral, it was a huge crowd-pleaser Lou)
<Jennifer> I think it makes us 'stronger' to have a larger repertoire that not everyone has to learn. easier!
Idea: Songs for Christenings
"Embraceable You" (Lou)
Idea: Songs for Funerals
"I Ain't Got No Body" (sorry! Lou)
Idea: Spring 2016 repertoire Money
<Jennifer> Read through them and WOW! great ideas. LOVE THEM. i have a bunch of them in the library. i will go through and confirm what we have, and then i'll see what i can order. hope to be done within 30 days and we can take a real good look and make it happen. AWESOME, whoever put that list together. Brain power to the extreme.
Proposals for "money" themed songs:
- Money, money, money (ABBA)
- Money changes everything Cindy lauper……………..excellent theme for charity connotation also
- Money make her smile (Bruno Mars) http://youtu.be/GLbvVw7LbCM
- Billionaire (Bruno Mars)
- Puttin' on the Ritz
- Pink Floyd Money https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbbuaIA3Ds
- Royals by Lorde
- google best songs about money … *http://www.more.com/reinvention-money/careers/25-best-money-songs** is a useful list
- 9 to 5
- Material Girl
- Just give me money (that's what I want) Flying Lizzards originally Beatles
- Who Wants to be a Millionaire (Frank S)
- I want an old fashioned millionaire(Eartha Kitt)
- If I were a rich man (Fiddler on the roof)
- Money Money money by the pound
- Take the money and run
- Money for nothing
- Opportunities(lets make money) Pet shop boys
- Independent Woman (Destinys child)
- She works hard for the money(donna Summer)
- Money makes the world go around (Cabaret Liza Minelli)
- Mary Poppins tuppence song
- We're in the money(rather old)
- All 'bout the Money (Meja)
- Bills, Bills, Bills (Destiny's Child)
- Hey Little Rich Girl (Amy Winehouse etc.)
- Price Tag (jessie J) from Pitch Perfect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ8O7ZGu-JE
- Taxman, Beatles
- can't buy me love Beatles
- Million dollar man lana del rey
- Beautiful Dirty Rich lady Gaga
- Love don’t cost a thing Jennifer Lopez
- Gold Digger (kanye west but Glee did a version that might be easy to acquire!)
- Rich Girl Hall and Oates
- Ain't nothing going on but the rent (a 90's dance tune, not sure who itis by..)
- If I had a million dollars Bare Naked Ladies
- Rich Girl - Gwen Stefani
- Bills, Bills, Bills - Destiny's Child
- Counting Stars - One Republic
- Money Money Money - Abba
- I Wanna be a Billionaire - Bruno Mars
- Royals - Lorde
- Material Girl - Madonna
- She Works Hard for the Money - Donna Summer
- 9 to 5 Dolly Parton
All that cash - based on all that jazz but need to change thr words a little
What about diamonds are a girl's best friend?
Idea: "Money" Song Written in Foreign Language
<Ash> I just saw this section. And not sure if it's relevant at all but I had composed a money themed song (written the words too of course ) a couple years ago (it's still fresh in my memory because I do sing it every now and then for fun). The song is in Hindi. May be I can sing that to everyone and translate it and if it fits somewhere, we can use it? Just throwing it out there! [GH] Love it! Can you write it down? Or, come over some time and I'll write it down.
[Ash] Hi Genevieve! I just saw your reply here. I thought no one noticed my suggestion to be honest :P hehe but I am glad you like it :) I will be so happy to come over any day after 11th July, 2015. I am not sure if that will be too late to prepare it for the upcoming season but at least you will know what it is, what it sounds like and what it means and whether you would consider it for the future.
Idea: Specific song ideas
Note JS: There are plenty of new songs; we should expand our thinking.
Proposals for standard wedding/love repertoire
- Chapel of Love
- Walking on sunshine
- All I ask of you
- Stand by Me
- Natural Woman
- My guy
- Kiss the Girl
- Some Chinese love song TBCi - 我願意 by Faye Wong (but not sure how to find a Capella song arrangements for Chinese songs, 我每天愛你多一些 by jacky cheung, 月亮代表我的心 and loads more from Teresa teng
- I Swear
- You're Amazing (Just the Way You Are)
- I Could Not Ask For More
- You raise me up
Some more suggestions - we don't have these in the repertoire at the moment
Close to me (carpenters)
Weve only just begun(Carpenters)
Songbird - Stevie Nicks - I sang this for a wedding by request and ended up using it at a lot of others (Callie)
Bonfire Heart - James Blunt (Callie)
When You Say Nothing At All - Ronan Keating (Callie)
Proposals for standard Xmas repertoire
- Santa Claus is coming to town (Xmas Jazz trio version)
- As lately we watched
- Sleigh ride - condensed version that skips the "Farmer Gray" bit
- Jingle Bell Rock
- Carol of the Bells (SSAA)
- Up on the Housetop (new version)
- Winter Wonderland (Christmas Jazz Trio)
- Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer (GH's two-part version)
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas (2-part Rutter version)
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (the one we sang last year)
- White Christmas (Kirby Shaw)
- Up On The Housetop (JS)
- Sugar Plum Fairy (JS)
- The Christmas song
Proposals for standard "other" repertoire
- Happy birthday
- Turn the Beat Around
- Sixty minute man
- Java Jive
- I don't know why
- Dancing Queen
- And so it goes ….
- Walking on sunshine….also good for birthday?
Other songs - any category - you just think you might like to sing some time
Just Dance - Lady Gaga (Callie)
Never let Me Go - Florence and the Machine (Callie)
Need You Now - Lady Antebellum (Callie)
Shake It Out - Florence and the Machine (Callie) (JS - we did this last year as an ensemble - we have it
I'm So Excited - Pointer Sisters (Callie)
Try - Pink (Callie)
Hey Soul Sister - Train (Callie) (JS we did this 2 years ago in Nova - we have it)
Africa - Toto (Hear it here sung by the Slovene A Cappella Choir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYMTAIPf9hE
It's Rainin' Men - The Weather Girls (Callie)
Love is all you need <GH>
I say a little prayer for you (a cappella version) <GH>
Andrews sisters eg Don't sit under the apple tree Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy from company three, Chattanooga Choo Choo
Manhattan transfer songs eg a cappella LIBERTANGO
Eric Whitacre <FG>
Under the boardwalk(JW)
Stay with me [GH]
Como Perry(Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket) and the Fontaine Sisters repertoire: "I Wanna Go Home With You", or "To Love You"
Some kind of new music from a local composer <RO>
A Chinese love song (for weddings) <GH> examples as follows
(FG) Over the rainbow? Have you done it before? So many pretty versions now. http://www.alfred.com/Products/Over-the-Rainbow--00-CH9925.aspx
"Classic" love songs : e.g. "Sunrise, Sunset", "Love Can Build a Bridge" (The Judds), "Perhaps Love" (John Denver), "Everyday I Love You" (Boyzone), "A Groovy Kind of Love" (Phil Collins), "When I'm 64" (The Beatles), "The Rose" (Bette Midler), "Bubbly" (I like the Colbie Caillat version), "To Make You Feel My Love" (Garth Brooks), "Dream a Little Dream" (the Mamas and The Papas), "When You Say Nothing At All" (Ronan Keating), reintroduce "True Colors"…I'm sure there are others.
Inspirational songs : "Turn, Turn, Turn" (The Byrds), "You've Got a Friend" (Carole King), "Imagine" (John Lennon), "I Hope You Dance" (Ronan Keating), "The 59th Street Bridge Song" (Simon and Garfunkel), [GH] Creo en mi fits in this category
OTHER ACTIVE IDEAS
Idea: An album or CD
- Yes, we all like this in theory but need someone to take the lead, book the studio, set a date <
*<Jennifer> And if i did, would you guys turn up???
- Would like to see this proposed earlier and with a longer timeline
- What would we do with it? There are loads of Cds still under my stairs. SOMEONE has to take responsibility for stocks. It is a very expensive exercise with no aim in mind (except personal gratification).
- (JS) I am happy to book it, schedule it, etc. But there has to be commitment. i have a place to store stocks. not a problem for now. But this takes more than that. Choosing our best songs, or choosing new ones, choose a theme (for which we should be open to taking on and learning new songs also). There is also art work for an Album cover, and finding a studio that will do the copies and the printing. the question is; will everyone, or enough people on each part, commit? If it's yes, i'll arrange!!
- Recording studio session…?? (Only with songs that are really good = ready. We can record ourselves and LISTEN critically - without being nasty - and try and hear what we can do better. Recording in a studio is an expensive, yet enjoyable, affair.)
- whether you would like to direct charity money surplus to one of your own choosing(JW)
- (JS) i could go for that!. However, Rani's pricing is no long accurate. the last time we did it, we had a 10 K recording studio fee, and the second time we did it the studio was 20k. So, it's more like $1000 per person and use the balance, if any, for printing labels or copying the CD.
Consensus: (June 2012) FG preparing a business case for recording session.
<Jennifer> Fiona no longer here - but We definitely need to do a RECORDING session. Record some of our better songs, plus an 'identity' song, and then we have material to work with. PLEASE REFER TO ABOVE PREVIOUS CONVERSATION….. How does it help to put ideas here if no one responds or takes it up 'in person'?? [Bring it up at an Exco meeting, I think - with a timeline and let's assign a new person to do the feasibility study]
IDEAS PREVIOUSLY IN IMPLEMENTATION BUT NOW THE RESPONSIBLE PERSON HAS LEFT
Idea: maintain a central mailing list September 2011
- <GH> Some of my friends asked to be kept on the mailing list but I can't guarantee that I'll remember them next time
- When we do concerts, bar gigs, paid gigs, etc. we can collect name cards
- Status 2012/H1: Underway
- (JS) If you'd like to DOWNLOAD lists to me, i'll have my office start and keep the list of invitees. Send to me with cc to kh.moc.puorgdnim|tm#kh.moc.puorgdnim|tm*
- No longer working well; now requested to ask another member to take this up
IDEAS IN IMPLEMENTATION
Idea: promotion manager and a stage manager. (RO 29.09.2011)
- Status June 2012: assigned Fiona (planning) + Joyce (execution) as promotion/marketing team
Idea: put all scores on the Gmail in soft copy and let members download and print by themselves Sept 2011
- <GH> This would relieve Jennifer & Amy of the burden of photocopying & binding
- Status September 2012: done; most songs are also on Noteflight now as well
Idea: start a YouTube channel with recordings of our performances July 2011
- status SEPT 2011: DONE - http://www.youtube.com/user/GraceNotesACappella
Idea: better use of Facebook
- <GH> Build up a group of fans on THKWC Page (so they can self-police their own mailing list)
- Always create "events" on FB whenever we have a gig
- Invite each of our friends to become a fan of the Page
- UPDATE SEPT 2011: Fan page now started; please ask all your friends to like it
Idea: Past repertoire record:
- <Julia> If you look at the website www.thkwc.org, we have a webpage devoted to Grace Notes and there is some repertoire from the past listed there . The music will be in the library.
- <GH> A lot of our existing or recent repertoire is listed on Recordings
BACK BURNER IDEAS
- Update September 2010: <GH> I looked through lots and lots of scores and found that most of the inspirational songs are (a) accompanied with such lush background that it's almost impossible to a-cappella-ize them; (b) SLOW. This puts this idea way down on the list for me. I agree with CW; Walk a Mile is good to have around but it's not confined to Xmas.
Idea: Super Bowl ads
<CW> OK, I realize I am probably the only person who watches US news, but today on the news they were talking about super bowl ads and how they all seemed to highlight the differences in the sexes, they actually said - "The Battle of the Sexes". We are definitely onto a trend with our music.
<GH> When is the Super Bowl? We could bring this in as a joke in our concert maybe? FYI your "Battle of the Sexes" reference is a Nike campaign.
Idea: Use our version of HK State of Mind for HKTourism Board
<JW>: I think it needs a few extra lyrics esp where its repeated.
- Record it properly first, then figure out what to do with it
- No particular conclusion re: HK Tourism Board
- Lou can ask her Disney lawyer friend about the legal issue
Idea: Add a beat box artist to our ranks
<GH> This would give us a greater range of songs and many many a cappella groups now include a beat box artist.
Our primitive efforts in this area so far include "ch - ch - ch - ch" in the train songs we did 2 seasons ago, along with the "doom chk- doom" stuff that the alto 2s often do. However, a real beat box person is an expert in the way that we singers are expert at singing. Of course, we would have to find the person first. yes, because we are a women's coir. Unless you want to put a wig on a guy. :-)
- Spring concert with them as guests. Julia
- Since we fail with human female beatboxes, how about we create our own version of ladies Cappella and add a shaker prrhaps a tambourine , and even ( limited volume) claps …. or pther easy accompaniment . As an alto 2 I feel somewhat responsible and if we dont try somethong new to enhance we wont know if it works. Unfortunately we cant do the bass notes ever but we could introduce the other sounds. Anyway whos to say the rules have to be NO instruments? Also if the next theme is bossa nova this could be really enhancing . julia sept 20 th 2014